After a year off, The Dude’s Homebrew Competition returned with a vengeance in 2021, raising $5,500 for LLS. Brewers and beer lovers alike flocked to the beautiful Resurgence Brewing Co brewery on Chicago Street on August 14th. 2021 for the event. It couldn’t have been a more perfect setting or better day.
The event featured 25 delicious beers brewed by members of the incredibly talented local homebrew community. There were beers of all kinds and flavors, often with unique specialty ingredients. There was even one that tasted exactly like a plate of pancakes!
Of course, there could be only one winner: Jon and Melissa Tarasiewicz’s Pretty Fly for a Ry Guy. This beer ran away with top honors at the competition, impressing both the judges and attendees alike. For their efforts, Jon and Melissa were able to brew a barrel of their winning beer at Resurgence. Also, for the first time in the event’s history, Resurgence canned the winning beer and donated proceeds back to the cause!
Thanks are in Order
There are many people to thank for the continued success of this fundraiser:
- First and foremost, Resurgence Brewing Company, and more specifically Jeff Ware, Mandy May, and the staff at Resurgence, who couldn’t be more generous or more gracious hosts
- The local homebrewing community, including the Niagara Association of Homebrewers, Sultans of Swig, and Buffalo Beer Goddesses, who continue to support this event and whose members continue to show why Buffalo’s homebrewing scene is second to none
- Our official judges panel for the event, featuring a collection of the top brewers in Buffalo: Corey Catalano and Devin Carman from Big Ditch Brewing Co., Colin Herzog from Flying Bison Brewing Co., and Jason Crosset from New York Beer Project
- Everyone who helped set up and run the event last August, including Meg Maxwell, Ellen Notarius, David and Tracey Gardon, Eric Sliwinski, Chris Fitzgerald, The Stumblin’ Falls Homebrew Club, and many more
- Helen Chung and her husband Rob Stewart for taking pictures, selling beer masks for the cause, and generally assisting in everything after trekking up from Philadelphia for the event
- Premier Wine & Spirits and Premier Gourmet for their sponsorship and generosity
- Tim Collins and Keith Curtachio for feedback and ideas leading up to the event
- Everyone who attended, donated, and voted for the beers
Here are the official results from the event: 2021 The Dude’s Homebrew Competition Results
You can find a collection of photos from the event on our Facebook page.
The 2022 The Dude’s Homebrew Competition, of course! We hope to see you there!